Maybe it’s much too early in the game, but we thought we’d ask you, just the same: What are you wearing New Year’s Eve?
Some of us (ahem, yes, yours truly) are guilty of leaving the choice of the all-important NYE outfit to a game-day decision. After all, our closet if FULL of black cocktail attire and sky-high heels. But this NYE, we decided it’s time to up our game to all-out glam. So we asked three SB readers — Colleen Canale, Anca Marr and Lea Richardson — to get with wardrobe consultant and stylist Jamie Yarbrough and find three looks for three different NYE events.
Jamie outfitted our models with stunning looks from Betty Hays, Joseph and Oak Hall for three glamorous New Year’s Eve looks to welcome 2017 on Beale Street, or at fundraisers for the Memphis Songwriters Association and the Phoenix Club.
Our friends at the historic Cadre Building in Downtown Memphis offered the gilt-bedecked event space for our shoot and even sweetened their offer by arranging for crunk rappers Lord T. & Eloise to drop by as a little arm candy for the photos. Enjoy the holiday season in the nine fantastic looks shown here!
The Event: EX-HA-LA-TION at the Cadre Building
- December 31, 2016, at 9 p.m. – January 1, 2017, at 2 a.m.
- The Cadre Building, 149 Monroe Ave., Memphis, TN 38103
- Tickets are $50 – $100 and can be bought online here.
Our aristocrunk arm candy, Lord T. & Eloise, are headlining the Cadre’s NYE Party, EX-HA-LA-TION, a let-it-all-hang-out way to welcome in 2017 that also features DJ Wick-It The Instigator and DJ Jordan Rogers in a funk-tastic evening to benefit the Memphis Songwriters Association.
What to wear? Think city chic with a dash of sass, or at least some gold accents to complement Eloise’s skin tone or white to complement Lord T.’s tendrils (and to make a statement in the black lights at the party).
The Event: New Year’s Eve on Beale Street
- December 31, 2016, from 8 p.m. until …
- Guitar drop from Hard Rock Café at the stroke of midnight
- Free concerts in W.C. Handy Park start at 9 p.m. featuring Emblem recording artists Glorianna with blues act Jeff Jensen Band
- The clubs and restaurants of Beale will have live music and special dinners, including Blues City Cafe, Itta Bena and B.B. King’s
If you want to be in the middle of the most festive party in town, but a bit away from your 50,000 closest friends, then glam out and pick a perch from which to watch the spectacle that is New Year’s Eve on Beale Street. You’ll want to book your table now to ensure you have a spot from which to be counting down to the new year following dining and dancing!
What to wear? Go for an outfit that fits the vibe of Beale — soulful and eclectic — that can take you from dinner to the dance floor to the street for the guitar drop at midnight.
- December 31, 2016, at 9 p.m. – January 1, 2017, at 1 a.m.
- James Bond-themed party at Memphis Botanic Garden, 750 Cherry Road, Memphis, TN 38117
- Tickets include an open wine and beer bar, plus food and dancing to Bluff City Collective Soul
- Tickets are $75 and available online here
What to wear? Get your Bond girl on, and go all-out glam for this NYE bash! Think sexy, slinky and sparkly!
Jamie says that just because this dress has no beads or sequins doesn’t mean it will not live up to the NYE glam. “The sexy cut-outs on the side, and simple black and white pattern, make it a must have for a NYE party!”
Thanks to Micki Martin for her fabulous photos, and to our models Colleen, Anca and Lea!