We started out with 24 charities and we are down to just three. The final one, determined by your vote, will receive $5000! We wanted to take time today to highlight the charities that have made it to the final round of this bracket as you make your decision on which one to vote for. Remember to spread the word, as this is the final week and $5000 is on the line! Here are our final three, listed in alphabetical order.
The ARC Mid South:
Based in Memphis, TN, “The Arc Mid-South is committed to providing advocacy and services which enable individuals with disabilities to realize their uniqueness, worth, and full inclusion in society. The Arc Mid-South’s commitment is to all people with disabilities – including intellectual and developmental disabilities – and their families. The Arc Mid-South actively sows the seeds of information and understanding. The Arc Mid-South affirms the uniqueness and worth in society of all persons and will endeavor to empower individuals and their families.” — Arc website. Through donations and support, The Arc Mid-South is able to:
- Offer guidance and support to individuals who need help
- Monitor national progress made in education, employment, community living and recreation for people with disabilities
- Encourage progressive legislation
- Develop and promote effective programs and services
- Promote and apply research to enhance independence
- Provide the elderly with personal assistance and home care services
- Educate the community on precautions that can be used to prevent developmental disabilities.
The Cancer Card XChange
“CCX collects monetary and gift card donations and then distributes gift cards to verified cancer patients simply to brighten their day. Please consider donating unused gift cards that may have gone unused. Since 2005, the TowerGroup research firm estimates, about $41 billion worth of money on gift cards has gone unclaimed.” — from the CCX website.
CCX founder Emily Tickle Thomas was so appreciative when she received a gift card to a restaurant when she was going through cancer treatments, and this kind gesture motivated her to do the same for other cancer patients. Today, healthy and determined to brighten the lives of cancer patients, CCX delivers gift cards to patients, spreading love and support with each delivery. Monetary and gift card donations allow this charity to bring smiles during scary times.
Humane Society of Memphis
“Since 1933, the Humane Society of Memphis and Shelby County has been providing shelter, food and medical care for thousands of injured, neglected and abused animals. And for just as long, people like you have kept us going. Thousands of animals are neglected or abused in Memphis and Shelby County each year. Hungry, scared and injured, these animals face a bleak future. That’s where we come in. We are the Humane Society of Memphis and Shelby County … On average, we provide sanctuary to over 300 animals at our facility at any given time, with dozens more placed with foster families until they are ready to be adopted … An important part of our work is giving these animals the emotional support, training and socialization abilities that will allow them to be adopted into new and loving homes and long-lasting relationships … our funding comes exclusively from private donations …” — Memphis Humane Society website. Memphis Humane Society seeks to help in these ways:
- To offer refuge, medical care, nourishment and an opportunity for a second chance at life to injured and abused animals
- To protect animals from cruelty, neglect, carelessness and ignorance
- To foster public sentiment of humanity and gentleness toward animals and promote responsible pet ownership through humane education
- To enhance the quality of human life through animal companionship
Remember to vote for your favorite charity today!