As adults approach their golden years, visions of retirement may begin to dance in their heads: Plenty of time for leisure and relaxation. Taking up a new hobby or re-learning a neglected favorite. Enjoying grandchildren. Happy hours and excursions with friends. No work and no worries. The idea of retirement as a never-ending holiday is enticing, but can it be a reality? Join us as we take a look at a new concept for retirement living at Avenida Watermarq at Germantown.
Developer Avenida Partners saw a need for communities that center on active senior-aged adults looking for a healthy, social, worry-free place to live. Inspired by the idea of resort living year-round, Avenida developed four properties in Colorado, Illinois, California, Oklahoma, and one closer by in Nashville, Avenida Cool Springs. The newest development is under construction in Germantown with an opening date planned for October 2020. The properties all offer the same luxurious amenities, spacious apartments, and a carefree lifestyle for active adults ages 55+.
Avenida Cool Springs resident Cecile Waters says the community suits her personality and lifestyle perfectly. She and her husband raised four children – three sons and a daughter – in Chattanooga before moving to Savannah, GA. After her husband passed away, Cecile moved to Nashville to be closer to her daughter, Liz Robertson. Both mother and daughter agreed that a smaller, maintenance-free home would be ideal, and both were looking into and researching options.
“I saw a sign for Avenida Cool Springs and thought ‘yes!’” says Cecile. “I called Liz immediately, and she had not only seen the same sign that same day, she’d already made an appointment for us to take a tour.”
“We’d visited a few places where we just knew the minute we got into the lobby that it wasn’t a good fit,” says Liz. “After touring Avenida, we knew right away we’d found my mom a home – it is upscale, bright, beautifully finished, and the staff is amazing.”
Cecile and Liz say they didn’t need an independent living facility with medical staff and communal dining three times a day. Instead, Avenida developments are close to healthcare facilities, as well as restaurants, coffee shops, and specialty stores. A complimentary continental breakfast is served Monday through Saturday in the Bistro, and each apartment features luxuriously appointed kitchens with high-end appliances. Residents are mobile and drive themselves to their favorite grocery and convenience stores.
A big draw is the hassle-free upkeep of the property. “The grounds are well-planned and beautifully maintained,” says Cecile. “I love being in these delightful surroundings with no yard work or housekeeping! And it is wonderful to have repair people you can trust available at a moment’s notice. The staff takes such good care of everything, and treats us like family.”
Best of all are the activities and amenities Avenida offers: “Anything and everything you’d like to do is right at your fingertips,” Cecile says. “We’ve got a theater, pool, outdoor activities, clubs, crafts, classes, reading groups, Bible studies, and excursions. Avenida perfectly fits my stage of life.”
For Liz, knowing that her mother is enjoying life is wonderful — plus she has peace of mind knowing Cecile is nearby, in a safe place with controlled access.
“I really wasn’t sure we could find a place near me, but she’s only about six minutes down the road,” says Liz. “It’s a great location in the city, and she’s so happy with friends in a similar phase of life.”
Community and connectivity is paramount. Avenida Watermarq at Germantown is already planning for the day when residents move in by hosting events before the development is complete. The first 32 depositors form The Founders Club, which offers exclusive benefits.
“We want our new residents to have a community in place when they get here,” explains Linda Deming, Avenida Watermarq at Germantown’s Sales and Marketing Director. “We’ve hosted a wine and cheese event, social-distanced excursions to Germantown Performing Arts Center, and dinners pre-COVID. By the time everyone moves in, they’ll have friends.”
The defining factor that truly sets Avenida apart is their resident enrichment program, Five to Thrive™. Built around wellness and designed to empower residents, the program is tailor-made and offers a great mix of classes and events, which are currently customized to proactively meet and address COVID-19 guidelines. It centers around five dimensions:
- Live Life: “We want our residents to try new things, to do activities that make them excited,” says Linda. The goal is to nurture mental, emotional and physical well-being for a life that is active, full, and well spent. To that end, exercise classes are taught in the fitness room, art classes in the creative arts room, club meetings are held in the great room, the library is available for book clubs, and much more. Residents are encouraged to share their passions with others and can lead a class or an event.
- Live Confidently: You’ll hear the word “empower” often when referring to Five to Thrive™, and that is by intention. Residents are empowered for financial and physical security with topics covering financial planning, wills and trusts, preventing fraud, self-defense, and TED talks. “Our daily goal is confidence for this chapter of life,” Linda says.
- Live in Motion: Avenida offers a healthy mix of carefully curated classes that focus on wellness. “We’ve got water aerobics, bocce ball, and yoga,” says Cecile. “There are plenty of opportunities for staying fit.” Linda adds a few more: Cardio, music and movement, tai-chi, and Zumba in the fitness room; chess, Cornhole, and putting in the courtyard.
- Live and Learn: “We are empowering – that word again – our residents to stay sharp, think with confidence, and continue to grow,” Linda says. The goal is to have fun, stimulate your mind, and stay curious. Classes include journaling, creative writing, technology, and online courses. In addition to resident-led classes, local experts in various fields are invited to lecture, teach, and lead.
- Live Connected: Avenida residents enjoy happy hour two times a week, social networking events, and holiday parties. The game room is popular for bridge, poker, board games, Mah-jongg, and shuffleboard. The theater is available for movie nights and lectures. “Who wants to live life alone and isolated? Nobody,” Linda says. “We want our Avenida neighbors to share and engage with each other.”
Avenida Watermarq at Germantown offers 161 stylish apartments with one- or two-bedroom floor plans, all with a private balcony or patio, centered around a lush green courtyard. Spacious master bedrooms include walk-in closets and fully appointed bathrooms. Each Avenida community has specific features as the communities are strategically located in the heart of neighborhoods with parks, recreation, and local landmarks nearby. Avenida Watermarq at Germantown boasts beautiful 18-acre Nashoba Park as an extension of their grounds, with a stocked eight-acre lake, a shady walking trail, and a connection to the Wolf River Greenway. Germantown and the greater Memphis area offer a wide world for Avenida Watermarq at Germantown residents to live life to the fullest: Outdoor fun, sports, theater, access to an international airport, retail and shopping, cutting-edge healthcare, and places of worship. It’s a challenge during the pandemic, but Avenida’s well-appointed leasing office continues to offer private appointments prior to the property’s construction completion.
Avenida Watermarq at Germantown is located at 7900 Wolf River Blvd., Germantown, TN 38138. The leasing office is located at 1227 S. Germantown Road, Suite 302, Germantown, TN 38138.
This article is sponsored by Avenida Watermarq at Germantown. All photos and renderings provided by Avenida Watermarq at Germantown unless otherwise noted.