It’s hot and the last thing you should be drinking is soda. It dehydrates you. And those sugary nonsoda drinks? They are ramping up your blood sugar and adding pounds. What you need is good ol’ fashioned water … spruced up a bit.
We all know you can squeeze some lemon and lime into your water, but today’s recipe is so much prettier and much more fun. Admittedly, it’s a bit more work, but all the prep can be done in less than 10 minutes if you’re just doing a little bit and no more than 30 minutes if you are slicing a ton to freeze enough to last a month or more. Believe me, you’ll be just as enamored with these little frozen citrus wheels as we are.
Yes, we’re freezing citrus wheels, and they are so much more fun than fresh ones. Fun fact: frozen citrus wheels float! I’m always disappointed when my lemon slices sink to the bottom of a pitcher of water, but these will float until they thaw. They also quickly release their flavor, making the infused fruit water tasty in just a couple of minutes. No need to mash or squeeze to release the flavor, just float them. Forgo the ice cubes, as they make the perfect substitute to further chill your water—they are frozen, pretty and flavorful.
- Parchment paper
- Plastic freezer bags
- Baking sheet that fits inside your freezer
- At least one lemon, lime, orange and grapefruit (the smaller grapefruits work better)
SB Note: Since you’re already getting the mandoline out, grab more fruit so you can have loads of these treats on hand in your freezer.
- Slice fruit on the mandoline. For my OXO mandoline, I choose the thickest setting. Limes are the easiest, as their peel is so thin. Grapefruit are the hardest.
- Place fruit slices on a piece of parchment paper on a baking sheet that fits in your freezer. Continue to layer on fruit, with a piece of parchment paper between each layer.
- Freeze overnight, at least 8 to 10 hours.
- It’s best to use water that has been chilled in the refrigerator, as the citrus wheels won’t thaw as quickly. And while they are frozen, they will float, which you want to encourage as long as possible—so use cold water!
I hope you enjoy these as much as we do. Cheers to health, hydration and little pretties that unexpectedly make our day!
I use the OXO mandoline from Target. Admittedly there are better ones on the market, but for the price, $39.99, it’s really a great one. You can order it here.