It’s summer. The days are longer. The laughter comes a little more easily … and so does the booze. But, we’re also a wee bit more conscious of carbs and calories.
And, let’s be real. It’s far easier to open a bottle of wine or a can of beer than it is to create a cocktail. Especially when we continue to see cocktail recipes that are oh-so-complicated. Obscure brands, overnight soaks, precise measuring and long lists of ingredients … for mixologists in the making, this is fun. For those of us just wanting a quick and tasty cocktail? Not so much.
If ease and taste are at the top of your list, along with lower calories and carbs, today’s cocktail mix is perfect. Even better, we’ve tried it with vodka, gin, bourbon and tequila, and each is delicious. My personal favorite is with bourbon.
One more thing, this mix makes a big cocktail with lots of liquid — just the way we like it on a hot summer day.
For brands, we used Tito’s vodka, Bombay gin, Coopers’ Craft bourbon, and Milagro tequila. We also tried several different diet ginger beers, but for this particular mix, the Fever-Tree Light Ginger Beer is hands downs the best one.
- 1.5 ounces of choice of spirit
- ½ bottle Fever-Tree light ginger beer
- Juice of ½ lime + slice of lime for garnish
- ½ can of Spindrift grapefruit-flavored sparkling water
- *Note: for a 50 calorie splurge, which adds 2 carbs, a .5 ounce of Domaine de Canton is delicious in this cocktail.
- Pour 1.5 ounces of your spirit of choice into a 12-ounce glass and add ½ a bottle (6 oz) Fever-Tree light ginger beer and juice from ½ of a lime. Stir. Add ice, ½ a can of Spindrift grapefruit-flavored sparkling water and a garnish with a squeeze of lime.