Time for a little cawfee tawk. Can we tawk? Can we tawk about leathah? I love a good leathah, especially when it feels like buttah in my hands.
Okay, enough of the Bronx accent and my Linda Richman impersonation, but I do love leather. Peruse my basement, otherwise known as the cemetery of my beautiful clothes from high school and college, where you will find my awesome leather vest, pleated leather pants, leather skirt in black and electric blue … I’ll stop there.
If you have similar items in your basement, do not resurrect them! The cut and style are so vastly off from what you want now. That boxy vest and extra big boxy leather jacket don’t translate in this day and time. (Do keep them for a Halloween costume, maybe?)
I have seen some beautiful “like buttah” leather pieces lately, especially by Vince and Joie. Blink Boutique carries both of these brands, so I had the Blink girls put together some looks for us. I wanted a way to wear leather that did not make me look like a biker chick. I did not want to look like, “Wow! You’re wearing a lot of leather” either.
Since a little leather goes a LONG way, here are some subtle and beautiful pieces for you to think about. These are good for the dressy looks, casual days or just going out.
All of these looks are available at Blink Boutique.
This appears to be just a t-shirt and jeans. Look closer: the sleeves are black leather and the t-shirt is navy sweater material.
Here, basic leggings and a tunic are taken up another level.
Everyone can wear a leather jacket. It is a perfect wardrobe staple.
It can be worn casually with jeans, like above, or with a dress below.
Check out the detail on the back of the sleeves. They are knit.
I walked in the store thinking I would never wear a leather dress. I walked out of the store coveting both of these.
Just pull the trigger and get the whole ensemble in leather. This color is divine, called “mink.”
Here’s what the Blink girls recommend:
- A pop of leather in an unexpected way is big this season and popular for buyers who do not want an entire leather ensemble. Look for it on the trim of dress or on a sleeve.
- Leather pants are very fitted. Be sure to wear a looser top, think flowy silk tunic or a longer sweater on the top.
- Wear a leather dress now and in the spring when it’s warmer with a pump. Wear it in the winter with tights and boots.
- Wear minimal jewelry with your leather pieces, especially when you are wearing leather on the top. The leather makes a statement all on its own.
- Leather is an investment (see prices above). Make sure that your leather is good quality and versatile, meaning you have lots of ways to wear it.
- Leather is a timeless piece to add to your wardrobe. Make sure to pay attention to style and cut. Don’t buy anything too outlandish; it will go out of style sooner.
Thank you to Blink Boutique for the enlightenment. You are invited over for cawfee tawk anyday.
Blink Boutique is located at 5706 Lexington Road. Visit their website at www.blinklouisville.com.