Today, dietitian, nutritionist and food blogger McKel Hill of Nutrition Stripped shares her delicious recipe for creamy zucchini soup. It’s the perfect springtime meal, as it’s loaded with the season’s best flavors and ingredients. “It’s incredibly simple to make,” says McKel. “The use of coconut milk makes it so creamy (but with no dairy!), and [it’s] packed with flavor even though there’s less than 10 ingredients.” McKel’s latest effort, The Nutrition Stripped Cookbook, comes out August 23, 2016, (preorder here), but until then, kick back and enjoy a healthy bowl of soup!
Creamy Zucchini Soup
Creamy Zucchini Soup: A Perfect Springtime Meal
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- ½ medium red onion chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 2 large zucchini or 4 small, chopped
- 1 cup vegetable stock divided
- 2 cups canned organic, full-fat coconut milk
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In a medium-hot skillet, add olive oil, onion, garlic and zucchini. Cook until fragrant and tender, about 15 minutes. Add about 1/2 cup of the vegetable stock during this cooking process to help steam-cook the zucchini in the skillet. Reserve the rest for blending.
- In a high-speed blender, combine all of the remaining ingredients and blend until thick and smooth. Taste test to adjust for any seasonings or lemon juice and reblend. Store in an airtight glass container. To reheat, pour in a pot and cook over medium heat until warm.
- Notes: Add proteins like organic tempeh, organic tofu or chickpeas to bulk up the soup and make it more of a meal. Also, top with healthy fats like sliced avocado, pumpkin seeds or a drizzle of olive oil.