With summer in full force, putting on sunscreen should be a daily thought, not just something reserved for times we plan on sitting by the pool. Here are a few of our favorite brands at different price points that should hopefully keep your summer burn free!
First, a few need to know facts. Most sunscreens on the shelves this summer now comply with the new rules set forth by the Food and Drug Administration. Among the new rules that are good to know (source):
- When a sunscreen is labeled “broad spectrum protection” it now means the sunscreen has been proven to protect against both UVA and UVB rays.
- Any sunscreen with an SPF lower than 15 must display a warning label that it will not protect against skin cancer.
- Products can no longer claim to be waterproof, only water-resistant. Labels must also note a time limit of either 40 or 80 minutes before the sunscreen is ineffective.
Now onto a few of our favorites!
Supergoop, a great mid-price range choice for the whole family. All Supergoop products are infused with vitamin C which will give your skin a nice radiance. Available in an Everyday Face & Body Lotion with SPF 30 and a Sunscreen Mist (which allows you to have a nice, even coverage) with SPF 30 or 50. Supergoop’s Lip Balm with shea butter and SPF 30 is also a great product for your beach bag.
Coola is a natural, plant-based, organic line of sunscreen and is perfect for those with skin sensitivities and allergies. It’s also my favorite high-end sunscreen on the market. Their body lotion is available in Regular with SPF 30 and a Sports version with SPF 45. Their sprays (SPF 30 and 35) are also fantastic, giving a nice even coverage. And, their face sunscreen goes on smoothly (SPF 30 or 35). I prefer their unscented sprays and lotions, but if you want to add a little scent to your sunscreen, they have a citrus mimosa scent and a pina colada scent.
Developed by a team of dermatologists, SkinCeuticals is another brand that is great for those with skin sensitivities. It is a little heavier and thicker then other brands, but it is an excellent choice for everyday use. The SkinCeuticals line has a sports formula for body and face with an SPF of 45 and a regular, everyday use sunscreen with an SPF of 50.
A great sunscreen that will keep your skin covered while also pledging to be paraben free. It takes a little bit more rubbing to get it to absorb into your skin, but it provides great coverage. Also available in SPF 30.
Alba Botanica also makes a sports version. Since it is more emollient then their other versions, you will have more of the “whiteness” left on your skin. This sunscreen will keep you covered for up to 80 minutes of swimming or sweating.
Kiss My Face
This is my favorite sunscreen to keep in the house for everyday use (I keep it right next to the back door for easy application as we are running out). I love the large size and the spray bottle (that is not an aerosol can). It also rubs in really easily.
A handy stick for those spots that need extra attention. Keep one in your purse so you always have one on hand.
Always a classic! A good choice for a great price point. Just make sure to look for Water Babies with the key words Pure & Simple for a choice that is hypoallergenic, oil, and dye free.
And, a few good rules of thumb when applying sunscreen (source):
- Apply a shot glass size of sunscreen (or about two tablespoons) to the exposed areas of your body and your face (using about the size of a nickel on your face)
- If using a spray, apply until you see an even sheen on your skin
- Reapply every two hours, more often if you are swimming, perspiring, or toweling off
- A good bet is to not use a sunscreen with a SPF lower then 15 and higher then 50
Hope you are having a safe, happy, and burn free summer!