The Biggest Marketing Trends for 2018
You wear so many hats as a small business owner so why not rely on SB Media to do what we do best? It’s vital that entrepreneurs stay up to date on digital and social media marketing trends these days. There’s no need to scour the internet or conduct hours of research, though. SB Media has done the legwork and will continue to provide tips, tricks and training to help your business stay ahead of marketing trends that will drive growth in 2018! Keep an eye on your inbox every other Friday for our SB Media newsletter featuring original business-minded content and contributed articles from industry trendsetters and experts.
For our first email of 2018, here are the top small business marketing trends for the upcoming year along with a simple implementation tip for each one:
1. Video. Video, video, video. Should we say it again? This doesn’t have to be complicated. Anyone with a smartphone can connect with their audience via video.
First step for 2018: Read up on Instagram Stories here and publish a video next week. You can show new products, talk about the special on tonight’s menu or simply speak straight to the camera to thank your customers for their business!
2. Find your purpose. Today’s consumers support and recommend brands that give back to their community and to underserved populations. In fact, 91% of Millennials say they will switch brands to support one with a cause.
First step for 2018: You don’t have to change your whole business model! Show that you care by donating 10% of your proceeds one Saturday to a local nonprofit. Have information about the nonprofit in-store so that customers can connect with the cause. Bonus: Take some video and post it on Instagram or Facebook that day!
3. Capitalize on word-of-mouth marketing. Social media influencers are getting a lot of props these days. The truth is that micro-influencers are providing better bang for your buck. The lesson? People relate better to real people, not celebrities or those that appear perfect on social. What’s more real than your customer? Turn your customer into your best marketing channel by asking for referrals, tags on social media and more.
First step for 2018: Offer your customers a 10% discount if they post about your store on social media. Post a sign at checkout, add a note to your receipts and spread the word through social media. Make sure they tag your location and use your hashtag!
4. Send emails. The reason we continue to harp on the importance of weekly emails is that it works! And yet, only 27% of entrepreneurs use an email marketing service. While other marketing channels are growing, email remains the king for connecting directly with your audience and driving trackable revenue.
First step for 2018: Start small with a monthly newsletter. Create one template to use monthly that simply includes the following: New products/offerings with photos, a customer testimonial, links to your digital channels and business contact information. Keep it light and short! Once you see results you can expand your content with discounts, recommendations, blog posts, tips & tricks, gift guides, recipes… the possibilities are endless.
5. Augmented reality. Virtual reality and augmented reality are the natural evolution of the video marketing trend. Consumers are looking to be engaged in unique and interesting ways. Small business can capitalize on the technology by allowing customers to envision products in their home or even on their body from their phone or laptop, no matter where they’re located.
First step for 2018: Create an augmented reality app. Just kidding! We’re going to give you a pass on this trend. Just follow along with SB Media throughout the year and we’ll give you updates as this technology becomes more accessible and user-friendly.