This coleslaw has long been one of my favorites. The bold flavors and a bit of creaminess make it the perfect pairing with grilled chicken and pork tenderloin, and I always serve it with shrimp tacos. It’s a go-to recipe at our house all summer long, especially over holiday weekends like July 4th when we have the grill going.
Don’t be afraid of the addition of the mayonnaise. Unlike other mayonnaise-based coleslaws, this is light and fresh tasting. The creaminess perfectly balances out the spiciness from the jalapeño and Vidalia onion.
We hope you have a happy cookout!
Spicy Cookout Coleslaw
- 1 head of cabbage
- 1 small Vidalia onion sliced thinly
- 1 small jalapeño diced
- 1 tbsp of chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup of mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp of white wine vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Wash cabbage and cut into strips making sure there are no large chunks
- In a large bowl, combine cabbage, onion, jalapeño, and parsley. Add mayonnaise and white wine vinegar and stir to combine.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.