Thanks to the early arrival of spring weather (followed by a brief return of winter weather, and then more spring weather), we planned a picnic! We stocked up on the essentials — a picnic basket, blanket, snacks and beverages — and were determined to find the ideal spot to enjoy conversation and good eats. A picnic need not be fussy, so choose dishes and snacks that travel well, and bring your favorite bottle of wine to toast the great outdoors. Pack everything in a basket and head on your merry way.
When the occasion calls for a picnic (an outdoor concert, trip to the park, or a desire to simply be outside), use these photos and the packing list below as inspiration for a picnic of your own.
Take your picnic up a notch with a few quick tricks.
- Skip the formalities. Save your silver for a dinner party, but skip the paper plates if you plan to take photos. Incorporate flowers from the surrounding garden, park or field for added interest.
- Make the most of seasonal offerings by enjoying in-season fruits and veggies. Yes, you can prepare a well-rounded meal of sandwiches, salads and dessert, or you can keep things simple by bringing vegetables, fresh fruit, a loaf of bread and cheese. We paired our cheese with pantry items, such as honey and apple butter.
- You will want to wash down your eats with something refreshing. While we are partial to a cold bottle of rosé, we also packed ice water in carafes and chilled San Pellegrino to help us stay hydrated.
- We think the most important piece of the picnic puzzle is the blanket. There are few things more uncomfortable than sweating in a pile of grass. Find a blanket that is soft, of a durable weight and easy to pack. A woven in2green blanket fit the bill for us.
- And lastly, what is a picnic without a beautiful basket? The size of your basket (and how far you have to travel) will dictate what you can tote along. Make sure your basket has space for everything and is easy to carry. It doesn’t hurt that this one is easy on the eyes.
Picnic Packing List:
- Fresh fruits and veggies from your local grocer or farmers market
- TruBee Honey — available here
- Oak & Olive Rustica Basket for four — similar available here
- Enrico Acacia Wood Oval Platter — available here
- Vagabond House Baguette Board Knife Set — available here
- in2green striped blanket — available here
Email [email protected] or call (615)595-2323 for more product information.
For more entertaining, recipes and local restaurants, click here.