This is one of those “whip up what’s in your refrigerator” recipes that ends up so good that it makes it into your standard meal rotation.
First of all, I’m always looking for a way to use more cauliflower as it’s one of my favorite vegetables and my kids will, for the most part, tolerate it. Then, zucchini works with just about everything, in my humble opinion. Add a couple more veggies, some rice, store-bought rotisserie chicken and, if you have some left over salsa and a package of taco seasoning mix (or just make your own as this is the best recipe), add them in. Stir in some rice and voila! You have an instant family classic and one that packs up well for lunches for the next day as well.
Cheese lovers, add some shredded cheddar — you’ll love it!
Serve on its own or with sour cream and hot sauce, like pretty much everything in life, right?!
And the best part? Well, the taste is the best part. But, when you cook a big meal and only have one pot dirty … that’s pretty grand.
Skillet Meals: Vegetables, Chicken & Rice with Mexican Flair
Serves 4 to 6 people and takes 20 minutes to prepare
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups cauliflower, sliced
- 1 large sweet onion, diced (approximately two cups)
- 2 cups zucchini, sliced into small half moon shapes
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, whole
- 2 cups rotisserie chicken
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning mix
- 1/2 cup salsa (I prefer the roasted, puréed type for this recipe but use what you have on hand)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (or to taste)
- 2 packages microwaveable brown rice
- Optional: add 1/2 jalapeño pepper, seeded, while cooking; top with shredded cheddar; serve with sour cream and/or hot sauce)
Microwave two bags of brown rice in the microwave. This takes approximately 5 minutes.
While rice is cooking, heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add cauliflower and onion and let cook for 2-3 minutes (if using fresh jalapeño, add it now). Add zucchini and cook for 2 more minutes. Add grape tomatoes and cook, covered, for 3-4 more minutes. Add rotisserie chicken, taco seasoning, salsa and salt. Stir until chicken is warm. Turn off the burner. Add the cooked rice and mix until combined. If adding cheddar, sprinkle it on top and then cover until melted.
Serve immediately. Use optional sour cream and hot sauce if desired.
Enjoy! For more recipes, check out our recipe archives here!