This recipe, which comes from Katie Strickland of Katie’s Plates, is part of our “Back to the Table” SB Challenge, where, for three weeks, we feature seven recipes each Sunday and challenge our readers to gather around a home-cooked meal each night. With a food and nutrition degree from Mississippi State University, Katie has realized her passion for sharing healthy and delicious food with those whose busy lifestyles stand in the way of prepping a nutritious dinner. As a nanny, she began prepping healthy dinners for the pickiest of eaters – and they loved them! From there, Katie launched Katie’s Plates, where she creates menus filled with gourmet healthy meals to be delivered to the residents of Nashville, Birmingham and Jacksonville, FL.
By using sweet potatoes and paleo-approved mayo, this recipe cuts out unnecessary carbs and adds a great source of vitamins A and C. The result is a delicious, nutrient-packed sweet potato topped with one of our personal favorite BBQ sauces! Try this out with Katie’s “fried” okra for your next game night or casual dinner party as it’s destined to be a hit.
- 4 chicken breasts, or 2 lb
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 4 slices crispy bacon, crumbled
- 1 bunch sliced green onions
- 1½ cups paleo-approved mayo
- ¼ cup white wine vinegar
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1 TBSP black pepper
- 1 TBSP spicy brown mustard
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp horseradish
- 1 lb okra, trimmed
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- Salt, pepper, garlic powder to taste
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Place whole sweet potatoes on a foil-lined baking sheet. Bake for 45 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes are soft to touch and cooked through.
- Trim chicken breasts and place on a foil-lined baking sheet. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the temperature reaches 165°F. Let cool, and shred.
- Trim and chop okra. Mix with olive oil and the salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste. Add to a foil-lined baking sheet and roast for 25 minutes, stirring the mix halfway through.
- Get out a small bowl, and whisk together mayo, white wine vinegar, garlic, pepper, mustard, honey, salt, and horseradish. Mix with the shredded chicken.
- Open sweet potatoes and stuff with the shredded chicken. Garnish with the crumbled bacon and sliced green onions. Serve with the “fried” okra.
For more Katie’s Plates recipes that are part of this challenge, see the recipes below in “More Articles You’ll Love.”