This recipe, which comes from Katie Strickland of Katie’s Plates, is part of our “Back to the Table” SB Challenge, where, for three weeks, we feature seven recipes each Sunday and challenge our readers to gather around a home-cooked meal each night. With a food and nutrition degree from Mississippi State University, Katie has realized her passion for sharing healthy and delicious food with those whose busy lifestyles stand in the way of prepping a nutritious dinner. As a nanny, she began prepping healthy dinners for the pickiest of eaters – and they loved them! From there, Katie launched Katie’s Plates, where she creates menus filled with gourmet healthy meals to be delivered to the residents of Nashville, Birmingham and Jacksonville, FL.
One of our favorite healthy tips is swapping out pasta for delicious spaghetti squash. Once you mix in your ingredients (like this dairy-free pesto!), you’ll never know the difference. While eating one of your favorite dishes, you’ll squeeze in tons of extra vitamins and nutrients. A win-win!
- 2 small spaghetti squash
- 4 chicken breasts, or 2 lb
- 3 cups fresh basil
- 4 cloves garlic
- 3/4 cup nutritional yeast (parmesan substitute) or dairy-free parmesan
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup sliced grape tomatoes
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Cut spaghetti squash in half and place face-down on a foil-lined baking pan. Roast for 30-45 minutes, or until spaghetti squash is soft. Let cool. Remove seeds and then scoop threads into a bowl. Keep the shells and place to the side.
- Trim chicken and place on a foil-lined baking pan. Bake for 30 minutes, or until chicken reaches 165°F. Shred.
- Add basil, garlic, nutritional yeast, olive oil, pine nuts, and parsley to a food processor or high-power blender. Pulse until you get the consistency wanted. Season with salt and pepper. Mix with the shredded chicken, spaghetti squash, and grape tomatoes. Stuff back into the shells. Turn heat down to 350°F, and bake for 10 minutes.
For more Katie’s Plates recipes that are part of this challenge, see the recipes below in “More Articles You’ll Love.”