I think the world fell in love with Brussels sprouts recipes when people realized, once again, that bacon really does make most everything taste better. When it comes to cooked Brussels sprouts, I wholeheartedly agree that bacon makes them better.
I first made this recipe, meant as a side for six people, and it only lasted about 30 minutes as a “pre-dinner” meal. My husband, middle daughter and I just couldn’t stop eating it. Then, it was all gone and our dinner was ruined as we just weren’t hungry for hours. But, I’m not sure there is any tastier way to ruin my appetite! Serve these Brussels sprouts as a side, solo in a bowl or over rice. It’s the perfect “I want a ton of vegetables, but I don’t mind a little meat” meal.
The prep is not daunting, and the ease of preparation is on the beginner side. For me? That’s perfect as it means I can talk, prep dinner, look over some homework, take a phone call, feed the dog, answer the door, catch up on the news … and still end up with a tasty meal.
- 5 pieces thick-cut bacon
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 24 oz. Brussels sprouts (cut in half or quarters, depending on size of individual Brussels sprout)
- 1-2 T Simple Truth® organic salted butter
- 1 cup Simple Truth® organic chicken broth
- Kroger brand spices (these are just suggested amounts; please adjust for your preference)
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp Simple Truth® organic crushed red pepper
- 1/8 tsp ground thyme
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Cook bacon in large skillet until completely cooked; remove and place on paper towel to cool. In the same pan with the bacon grease, carefully add 1 tablespoon of butter (2 if you are being decadent!) and then add chopped onions. Stir onions around until thoroughly coated with the grease/butter. Add cut Brussels sprouts and cook for 3 minutes. Add chicken stock and spices and cook for 10 minutes. There will still be chicken broth left in the pan, which is delicious, so don't think that this all needs to be absorbed.
- Serve immediately.
If Brussels sprouts are your thing, you definitely need to try this recipe. Just be prepared to make them into your entire meal and crave them for days afterward. They are truly delicious!
For more tasty recipes, check out our recipe collection here.