This peach basil spritzer comes direct from the pages of The Peach Truck Cookbook. What a refreshing way to cool off during a hot summer day!
Peach Basil Spritzer
Serves: 16 drinks
- 2 cups chopped fresh peaches (2 peaches)
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tsp. whole black peppercorns
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil, plus basil sprigs if desired
- ½ cup white wine vinegar
- 8 cups club soda or plain sparkling water
- Combine peaches, sugar, peppercorns, basil and 2 tablespoons of water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, stirring until sugar has dissolved. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until peaches begin to break down, about 4 minutes. Remove from heat; mash the peaches with potato masher. Let cool for 30 minutes.
- Pour the peach mixture through a fine mesh strainer; discard the solids. Stir in vinegar. Cover and chill at least 2 hours.
- For each drink, pour 2 tablespoons of the peach shrub into an ice-filled glass. Top with ½ cup club soda or sparkling water. Garnish with a basil sprig, if desired, and serve. If you’re not using all the shrub immediately, store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 weeks.
Excerpted from The Peach Truck Cookbookby Jessica N. Rose and Stephen K. Rose. Copyright © 2019 by S&J Rose, LLC. Reprinted by permission of Scribner, an imprint of Simon & Schuster, Inc.