When it comes to holiday decorating, I always aim high for ideas, and then the calendar tells me, “No!” Unfortunately, many of us just don’t have enough time for decoupage, stenciling or crafting of intricate animal characters with eggs (but I wish I could … it all looks like fun!)
If you are hosting Easter and want to include memorable AND simple themed decorating, here are twelve clever ideas—each one has the right amount of originality balanced with a reasonable demand on time and materials. (Images link to detailed instructions about each craft.)
1. My favorite, simply clever discovery is: Use nail polish for egg decorating. What a GREAT idea! Turn your manicure set into an egg-dyeing tool kit.
2. Glitter-covered eggs should not require intricate artistry. These colors are more likely to blend with your home’s décor than traditional Easter brights.
3. The best kind of decorations are the ones you can eat.
4. Feel like a little origami? This is a do-ahead option!
5. Need a quick centerpiece? Here is a reminder that nothing could be easier than placing eggs in a bowl with a little moss, straw or grass underneath.
6. Step it up by combining eggs with a simple arrangement of flowers.
7. Tulips = Easter.
8. As demonstrated here and in several arrangements above, one color is always effective. A controlled palette also makes Easter a little more sophisticated than a menagerie of colors.
9. If your centerpiece is simple (like the bowl of eggs or monotone arrangements above), add interest with a set of miniature arrangements. One small decoration at each place setting gives each guest individual attention.
10. If your kitchen is becoming the hub for crafts and cooking this weekend, avoid a lot of messy painting by wrapping solid colored eggs with a neon string or thin ribbon.
11. Don’t forget the place cards.
12. If Easter seems incomplete without handmade egg characters, here are a few variations, ordered from easiest (yes, I can do this by Sunday!) to most difficult (love it, but no chance this year!).
Hope this list of ideas has helped narrow your decorating to a manageable amount. Now off to Michael’s for a few craft supplies, which is conveniently next door to the Fresh Market where I will grab some tulips (great selection!), and then to the drugstore for more nail polish for the eggs (I want to try the manicured eggs idea this year!) … Happy Easter!