Put down the whisk and step away from the oven! We’ve rounded up four delicious no-bake, summer dessert recipes that require minimal ingredients and a few simple steps. Whether you are hosting or attending a Fourth of July bash, you’ll want to impress the guests with one of these festive treats. From chocolate dipped, sprinkled banana pops to gluten-free gelato sandwich cookies, you’ll be amazed at how easy and delicious (not to mention cheap) these impressive dessert recipes can be!
Berry Coconut Angel Food Cake
For this festive treat, skip the baking and purchase a pre-made angel food cake. Top the cake with a cream cheese frosting, sliced nuts and shredded coconut. The sweetened berries finish it off with a bit of freshness, sweetness and color.
- 4 cups sliced strawberries
- 1/2 cup sugar divided
- 1 (8-ounce) block of reduced fat cream cheese, softened
- 1 (10-inch) round angel food cake
- 1 (8-ounce) tub of whipped topping
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds or walnuts
- 4 tablespoons shredded unsweetened coconut
- Combine strawberries and 1/4 cup sugar in a small bowl, let stand in refrigerator for approximately one hour.
- Combine 1/4 cup sugar, cream cheese and whipped topping in a mixing bowl. Beat at a medium speed until smooth.
- Spread the frosting evenly over the angel food cake. Sprinkle the almonds and coconut generously over the top of the cake.
- Spoon the berries around the sides of the cake before serving
Chocolate Banana Sparklers
This is a dessert that your kids will love to help make — and eat. These chocolate-covered bananas are best served on a stick, and we enjoy them after they have logged a few hours in the fridge or freezer. Don’t forget to add the red, white and blue sprinkles for a festive look!
- 12 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
- 4 large bananas peeled and cut into thirds
- 1/3 cup red, white and blue sprinkles
- 12 wooden skewers
- Insert one skewer into each banana segment. Arrange on a tray, cover with plastic wrap and freeze for one hour.
- Put the chocolate chips into a microwave-safe bowl and microwave on high for approximately 3 minutes, until melted. Stir until smooth.
- Dip each frozen banana segment into chocolate, turning it over so that is evenly covered. Then roll into sprinkles. Place on a tray covered in wax paper. Keep chilled until serving.
Frozen Vanilla Lemon Cups
While these frozen vanilla lemon cups might not look as patriotic as other Fourth of July desserts, they made our list because they’re cold, smooth and fresh. If you feel the urge to add some color, top each jar with a few berries!
- 1 (6-ounce) jar of lemon curd
- 1 pint low-fat vanilla ice cream
- 1 box store-bought vanilla wafer or shortbread cookies
- 6 small mason jars
- Mint leaves for garnish
- Alternate layers of ice cream and lemon curd in the jars. Sprinkle crushed shortbread cookies on the top and garnish with a mint leaf.
Gluten-Free Gelato Sandwiches
Pack the paper towels if you plan to serve these ice cream sandwiches! They could get messy but they are worth it! We opted for Tate’s double chocolate cookies and Talenti gelato, but you can mix and match any cookies and ice cream of your choice for this dessert!
- 2 (7-ounce) packages Tate's Bake Shop double chocolate cookies
- 2 pints Talenti Gelato (flavors of your choice)
- For each ice cream sandwich, place 1 scoop of gelato (about 1/3 cup) between 2 cookies. Gently press cookies together until the gelato spreads evenly to the edges.
Looking for more festive recipes? See our list of 18 Easy July 4th Recipes!