With Memphis In May in full gear, with its World Championship Barbecue Cooking Contest this weekend, I am sure a lot of you, including myself, will be unbuttoning those top jean buttons after three days of all things pork. Therefore, I thought this little salad might be the perfect ending to winding down a weekend full of salt, BBQ and beer.
There is just something about summer time time that makes me crave avocados. Okay, honestly, I could eat them anytime, in my favorite guac recipe, on a burger or just by themselves. I cannot get enough of them! But, when the hot temps start rolling in, they become my go-to grab at the grocery and when I found this recipe (on http://valsocal.blogspot.com/) I was sold from the first 2 ingredients: avocado and mozzarella. Not only is this salad super simple, but it explodes with fresh ingredients and makes a healthy alternative to other side dishes.
This simple salad is a great with burgers, just substitute it for fries. Or, it becomes an instant appetizer when put on a french round or cracker. It has undoubtedly become a summer staple at our dinner table and hopefully it will be a welcoming addition to yours as well!
Mozzarella, Tomato and Avocado Salad
- 1 container of cherry tomatoes quartered (I used 1 1/2 containers)
- 1 carton of fresh mozzarella cheese pearls cut in half and drained
- 1 avocado peeled and diced
- 1/3 cup of basil chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- French Rounds I get mine at Fresh Market
- Combine tomatoes, mozzarella, basil and parsley in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk the lemon juice, olive oil, salt & pepper and then pour it over the tomato mixture you just mixed. Make sure all ingredients are coated well.
- Cover the combined ingredients and put them in refrigerator for at least one hour (you can do it overnight if you prefer).
- Just before serving add the chopped avocados and gently toss.
To see original recipe, click here.