A bright, bold lip is one of the most effortless ways to make a stylish statement. Application takes little to no time, yet makes a major impact, often completing the entire look. However, it can be difficult to decipher which shade works best for you and how best to style the color with your current makeup look. Here, we’re solving that problem for you. From pinks to blues, we’re talking lipsticks of all hues and sharing a few of our favorite products. Here’s how to rock a bold lip!
Pink is a fun, feminine twist on the classic red lipstick. For those with a lighter complexion, baby pinks and pale shades are a flattering, yet statement-making color. If you have a deeper complexion, go for a magenta or berry tone. For pink and really any bold lip color, keep your eye and face makeup neutral, applying minimal eye shadow, a touch of mascara and a swipe of blush.
Here are three of our favorite bold pink shades:
- Charlotte Tilbury K.I.S.S.I.N.G Lipstick in Velvet Underground ($34): Charlotte Tilbury is known for her ultra-creamy, flattering lipsticks. This bright fuschia shade has all the benefits of her beloved formula with the added bonus of a bold, berry pop.
- Fenty Beauty Stunna Lip Pant Longwear Fluid Lip Color in Unlocked ($24): Relatively new to the scene, Fenty Beauty by Rihanna has made a splash in the beauty world with its top-of-the-line formulas and bold, often over-the-top shades. This longwear lip fluid lasts all day and night giving your pout a luxurious coat of vivid pink.
- NARS Lipstick in Schiap ($28): Want your lips to be that perfect sweet baby pink? This is your shade! It works on all skin tones and makes the ultimate flirty statement.
As of late, oranges and orangey-reds have been at the top of our list when it comes to bold lip colors. They’re ideal for summer and act as the spunky little sister to the timeless red. Similar to pink, make sure your face and eye makeup is about as neutral as it gets when wearing these, but feel free to try a bold black liner to draw attention to both your eyes and lips.
Here are a few of our go-to orange shades:
- Bobbi Brown Luxe Matte Lipstick in Fever Pitch ($37): This is an all-time favorite orange lipstick for us. It’s bright, vibrant and makes a statement without looking neon or costume-y. And the formula is top notch!
- Kat Von D Everlasting Liquid Lipstick in A-Go-Go ($20): If you’re on the hunt for a longer-lasting, more affordable option, Kat Von D’s liquid lipsticks are a must. They’ll stay on your lips forever (literally), and her shades are known for their intense pigmentation.
- Tom Ford Lip Color in Wild Ginger ($55): For those looking to indulge a bit, this Tom Ford lip color is one of the best formula-wise, and the Wild Ginger shade is a fun, flattering, warm orange shade.
You really can’t go wrong with a red lip. It’s the epitome of old Hollywood/classic glamour, and most red shades work well with any complexion. If you’re looking for a true red shade, go for one described as “blue-red.” Deep burgundy hues are also a great way to make a statement with a red lip.
Here are three tried-and-trusted red lip colors:
- NARS Velvet Matte Lipstick Pencil in Dragon Girl ($27): Described as a “siren red,” this easy-to-apply (and travel with!) lipstick pencil is that shade of red you’ve been searching for. Love Taylor Swift? This is one of her go-to shades when wearing red!
- MAC Matte Finish Lipstick in Ruby Woo ($18.50): MAC’s Ruby Woo has got to be the most iconic red shade on the market. If you haven’t tried this true blue-red shade yet, you’ve got to add it to your beauty bag ASAP.
- Dior Rouge Dior Lipstick in 999 ($37): This high-end red lip is a favorite of celebrities. So much so that you’ll often see it gracing the red carpets of award shows and fashionable events. It’s a classic red with a touch of darkness that flatters both lighter and deeper complexions.
In both fashion and beauty, ’90s style is back and booming. As brown lip shades were a major trend of the decade, they too are making a comeback, but we will say that brown lip colors are one of the hardest shades to match to your skin tone. If you have a light or porcelain complexion, go for a warm shade to ensure your lips don’t come off grey. For darker skin tones, orange and red-browns are a great choice. We suggest stopping by your favorite makeup store and asking the employees for their shade recommendations or just applying a few and seeing what looks best!
- Urban Decay Vice Lipstick in 1993 ($19): Named after the year in which shades like this were most popular, this Urban Decay lippie is ideal for those who love a good ’90s aesthetic. This shade, described as “medium brown,” flatters an array of complexions, and the formula is one of the best.
- Bite Beauty Multistick in Honeywheat ($24): We cannot get enough of the Bite Beauty multisticks. They are sheer perfection for on-the-go gals who have little time to primp and pamper in the morning. Dab this milk chocolate shade on lips, cheeks or eyes for a buildable flush of color.
- Charlotte Tilbury Matte Revolution Lipstick in Birkin Brown ($34): As stated earlier, Charlotte Tilbury’s lipsticks are top of the line, and this Birkin brown shade is a must-have for those craving a bold, brown lip. It’s soft, easy-to-apply and ultra-hydrating.
And, for the most daring among us, unexpected lip colors like blues, intense purples and even metallic colors with a surge of sparkle might tickle your fancy. Why not wear them out to your next eclectic event, like a concert or outdoor festival?!
Here are three daring shades worth giving a try:
- Sephora Cream Lip Stain Liquid Lipstick Metallic Shades ($14): Don’t sleep on Sephora’s metallic lip colors! If you’re looking to make an unexpected statement, go for any of their metallic liquid lip shades for some wow-worthy sparkle.
- Yves Saint Laurent Rouge Pur Couture The Slim Matte Lipstick in Fuchsia Excentrique ($39): Love a purple lip? This matte lipstick is for you! It provides a raspberry shade that flatters an array of complexions and stays on lips through the night.
- Make Up For Ever Artist Rouge Lipstick in Midnight Blue ($22): Blue (yes, blue) is an on-trend lip color at the moment, especially for those who love edgy glam. This color glides on easily and packs a serious navy blue punch.
Opt for one of these bright shades and make a statement this year!
For more amazing style tips, click here!