While there are many ways to be a good guest this holiday season, here are a few to add to the mix. Writer Jennifer Johnston brainstormed some ideas, and we added a couple more. We all need reminders and a little help, so here you go!
- RSVP in a timely manner. You can change your mind, but RSVP as quickly as possible so your host can plan food and drinks, and possibly seating.
- If you are bringing white wine or champagne, don’t bring it chilled. If it’s chilled, it means “open now so I can have some, too!” OR bring two bottles — one chilled and one not. That way the one that’s not chilled is truly a gift.
- Staying with friends of family? Bring the fixings for your signature cocktail, and then make it for everyone right before dinner. For an extra special gift, bring your hostess a nice new shaker, a pretty serving pitcher, a jar of good quality olives or a bag of lemons/limes.
- Bring some spiced nuts or cheeses (or both!) that your hostess can put out for easy snacking. Add in some cute cocktail napkins. Or a batch of Chex Mix you made at home. And, for a gift that will be appreciated for weeks to come, leave behind some coffee like this trio of freshly roasted Southern coffees from Batch and your SB friends. At just $39, plus shipping, get some of these for your house or to deliver, or have them sent straight from the Batch website to your recipient. And, if you order, you can also open the box and get three nice hostess gifts from one order!
- For a longer stay, bring a practical hostess gift: A set of good white kitchen towels, a set of nice white bath towels, a set of good quality hand soap/dishwashing soap, a new set of neutral colored hot pads or a bottle of good quality olive oil.
- Don’t be shy: For dinner parties ask how you can help. Bring any side dishes you make in disposable containers so your hostess won’t have to worry about returning them to you. That’s a good rule of thumb year-round.
Hopefully something here eases any anxiety you have for how to be a better guest at an upcoming party or overnight trip! Remember, the best gift of all is showing up and enjoying yourself … that’s why you were invited in the first place!
Follow StyleBlueprint for daily inspiration on Instagram!