The Mediterranean flavors of this fabulously healthy dish are just light and filling enough for the Alabama heat. This crowd-pleasing dish embraces the flavors of summer and is usually a hit as a side dish or an appetizer at pool parties and patio gatherings, alike.
Heirloom Tomatoes with Herbed Orzo Salad
- 8 ounces ½ standard box orzo pasta
- 3 quarts water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil plus more for drizzling
- 6 ounces block feta crumbled
- 1 ounce package of fresh mint
- 1 ounce package of fresh dill
- 1 ounce package of fresh basil
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 large heirloom tomatoes
- In a large pot, bring water and salt to a rapid boil. Add orzo and stir well.
- While orzo is cooking, drizzle a sheet pan with olive oil.
- After 9 minutes, drain the orzo using a fine mesh strainer. Spread the orzo evenly over the sheet pan to cool.
- Once cool, transfer orzo to a large bowl and add the feta, mint, dill, basil and red pepper flakes. Mix and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Thickly slice each tomato into thirds.
- Top with orzo salad and enjoy!
Tip: Buy block feta as it is often better quality. Crumbled feta can be of lower quality. The best fetas are barrel aged. The barrel lends flavor to the feta as barrels do to wine.
Tip: For added flavor, try a honey balsamic-infused olive oil.