I’m crazy about figuring out new ways to add more vegetables, fiber and nutrition to everyday meals without compromising taste. Today’s recipe reinvents the fattening version into a Healthy 7 Layer Dip to make it high in fiber, taste and nutrition – perfect for tailgates or gatherings with friends and family!
Fact: Did you know that one medium avocado has 12 grams of fiber?
Reinventing 7 Layer Dip
- 1 15 oz can seasoned black beans
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp chopped garlic
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 zucchini grated
- 1/4 sweet onion grated
- 1 cup chopped fresh spinach
- 1 Tbs taco seasoning mix optional
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 avocados
- Juice from 1/2 lime
- Hot sauce to taste
- Pico de gallo
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 small log goat cheese
- Fresh jalapeños diced (optional)
- 8 x8 glass dish
- Simmer black beans with cumin and garlic for 5 minutes.
- Add 1/8 cup (1/2 the amount) of diced cilantro to heated beans.
- Puree in food processor
- Layer on bottom of glass dish
- Grate zucchini and onion in food processor
- Heat for 2 minutes on stove - just to soften
- Add chopped fresh baby spinach to vegetable mixture and cook 1 minute longer
- Layer on top of bean mixture
- Optional: layer 1 Tbs of taco seasoning
- Layer 3/4 cup of cheddar cheese on top of vegetable mixture
- Create a quick guacamole: mash flesh from 2 medium avocados with lime juice and add some hot sauce to taste
- Layer guacamole on top of cheddar cheese
- Layer pico de gallo
- In food processor, blend sour cream, goat cheese and 1/8 cup chopped cilantro
- Pour mixture on top of pico de gallo
- Sprinkle extra cilantro or pico for presentation. Optional diced fresh jalapeños can be added here as well.
- Serve with tortilla chips. The Red Hot and Blue chips are great!