Grilled Cheese sandwiches are an American classic that always bring a smile. So when her publisher approached with the idea of a sequel to her first book, 400 Best Sandwich Recipes, focusing on the resurgence of the grilled cheese, Alison Lewis of Ingredients, Inc., couldn’t resist a slight departure from her usual light and fit style. Alison takes this classic comfort food to new heights with her latest cookbook, 150 Best Grilled Cheese Sandwiches, and we are thrilled today that she shares a super simple breakfast recipe from the book (my 11 year old makes this all by herself!) that is sure to please your family.
Who doesn’t love grilling cheese? When I was asked to write my second cookbook, 150 Best Grilled Cheese Sandwiches, I was so excited. What could be a more fabulous and fun cookbook topic? After completing my first cookbook, 400 Best Sandwich Recipes in 2011, developing 150 grilled cheese recipes seemed like a breeze.
Grilled Cheese is known as “America’s favorite comfort food,” and from gourmet restaurants to food trucks, you can find a grilled cheese sandwich just about anywhere. Since grilled cheese was a top food trend for 2012, I was fortunate that my book released in October. You’ll find recipes including appetizers, breakfast recipes (such as this one below), main dishes and even desserts and condiments in this cookbook. An entire chapter is also dedicated to light and healthy grilled cheese recipes. This book has something for just about everyone and every season. Enjoy this Grilled Egg, Cheese and Bacon Biscuit recipe. It’s my three kids’ favorite. For more information on where to purchase my book, see my food, travel, fitness blog, Ingredients, Inc. It can also be found in local bookstores, as well as online at Amazon.
Grilled Egg, Cheese and Bacon Biscuit
- 4 large eggs lightly beaten
- 1 tbsp skim milk
- 1 ⁄4 tsp salt
- 1 ⁄4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 6 tbsp butter divided
- 4 biscuits sliced
- 4 slices bacon cooked and halved
- 1 ⁄4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a medium bowl, combine eggs, milk, salt and pepper.
- In a skillet, melt 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the butter over medium heat.
- Add egg mixture and cook, stirring, until scrambled. Set aside egg mixture and wipe skillet clean.
- Spread remaining butter equally over biscuit tops. Place on a work surface, buttered side down.
- Top 4 halves equally with scrambled eggs, bacon, cheese and remaining biscuit half.
- Place biscuits, buttered side down, on preheated panini grill or in a skillet over medium heat and cook, turning once if using a skillet, for 3 to 5 minutes per side or until browned and cheese is melted. Serve immediately.
Alison is a nationally known cookbook author, recipe developer, media consultant, magazine and internet food, travel and fitness journalist & blogger, speaker, and President of Ingredients, Inc., a media consulting company in Birmingham, Alabama since 2001. Her blog http://ingredientsinc.net is widely popular. She is the Founder and Editor-in-Chief of Healthy Travel Magazine, which will launch in print in March 2013.