Fried Green Tomatoes with Southern Comeback Sauce
Author Jennifer Chandler, The Southern Pantry Cookbook
There are not many dishes that say “The South” more than fried green tomatoes. “I think as Southerners, we use this tangy, tart fruit more than any other part of the country does,” says Jennifer Chandler, author of The Southern Pantry Cookbook. Fried Green Tomatoes can be used as a side dish, an appetizer or even in sandwiches. Jennifer recommends serving them with a Southern Comeback Sauce. “As for the sauce, this cross between remoulade sauce and thousand island dressing is a Mississippi original,” she says. “It’s so good, you’ll be ‘coming back’ for more!”
- 1/4 cup grated yellow onion (about 1/2 small onion)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Kosher salt to taste
- Hot sauce to taste
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
- 4 medium green tomatoes, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- In a medium bowl, place the onion, garlic, mayonnaise, ketchup, vegetable oil, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, and lemon juice and whisk until well combined.
- Season with salt and hot sauce to taste.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Place the flour in a shallow bowl and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Place the beaten egg in another shallow bowl.
- Place the breadcrumbs in a third shallow bowl.
- Generously season the tomato slices with salt and pepper.
- Working in small batches, lightly dredge both sides of the tomatoes in the seasoned flour, shaking off the excess.
- Dip the tomatoes in the egg wash to coat completely, letting the excess drip off.
- Dredge the tomatoes through the breadcrumbs, evenly coating on all sides.
- Place the prepared tomatoes on a baking sheet or cutting board.
- In a large stockpot or Dutch oven pour enough oil so that there is approximately a 1-inch layer of oil.
- Over medium-high heat, warm the oil until a few droplets of water sizzle when carefully sprinkled in the pot.
- In batches so as not to over crowd the pot, cook the tomatoes until golden brown, about 3 minutes per side.
- Transfer the tomatoes to a baking sheet lined with paper towels or a baking rack.
- To serve, place the fried green tomatoes on a plate. Drizzle with Comeback Sauce.
For more recipes from Southern chefs, check out our recipe archives!