First things first, let’s define what clean beauty products are. This term refers to any beauty product— skincare, cosmetic or hair care that is made sans toxic ingredients, both proven and suspected. In case you’re unfamiliar, the beauty industry is notoriously unregulated and many of our everyday products, including foundation, face wash and shampoo, are filled with toxic ingredients, even known carcinogens. These can negatively affect your overall health, disrupt hormones, cause frustrating and often unexplained skin irritation and are even linked to cancer.
Sulfates, parabens, pthalates, synthetic fragrance, formaldehyde, SLS and SLES are just a few of the toxic ingredients present in a large amount of the industry’s most popular products. Just check the back of your favorite moisturizer or mascara — we’re sure you’ll find ingredients on there that you didn’t even realize you were using every single day. And just because you’re not physically swallowing these products does not mean they’re not making their way into your system. Applying toxic-filled products each day and wondering why your skin isn’t clean, clear and healthy is like eating McDonald’s every day and wondering why you feel sick.
The problem with clean beauty products is that, because of their higher quality ingredient list, they are often far pricier. In our opinion, though, you can’t put a price tag on improving your overall health and removing toxicity from your everyday routine. In this guide, we’ve rounded up a few of the best clean skincare, cosmetic and hair care products on the market to help kickstart your clean beauty journey. Here’s to joining the clean beauty movement!
Disclaimer: Many of these products were found through Sephora’s Clean Beauty list. Before purchasing any product, we suggest you check their standards and each item’s list of ingredients to ensure they align with your personal clean beauty needs.
Luckily, there are plenty of clean skincare products on the market. Here, we’ve pulled together our favorite cleanser, mist, moisturizer, SPF and mask ideal for introducing your skin to the natural, green ingredients you didn’t even know it was craving.
- Goop Luminous Melting Cleanser: ($80) Makeup-removing balm has quickly become the most popular way to remove makeup, especially stubborn, waterproof products. Balm is gentle and effective at melting away products without harsh pulling at the skin, especially around the eyes. This Goop (Gwyneth Paltrow’s line of skincare) balm, is an expensive, yet award-winning cleanser that melts away makeup and leaves skin cleansed and moisturized.
- Tatcha Luminous Dewy Skin Mist: ($48) We know, we know, a $48 skin mist seems ridiculous, and it is not necessarily a must in your beauty routine, but this Tatcha product is a favorite of ours. Spray this on your skin before makeup, after makeup or really anytime you need a boost for a splash of hydration and flattering luminosity. Plus, every Tatcha purchase made supports girls’ education around the world.
- Summer Fridays Jet Lag Mask: ($48) This mask is becoming well-loved in the beauty market. It’s good for any skin type and offers a surge of rich hydration through healthy ingredients that mitigate dryness and uneven texture after just one use.
- Supergoop! Invincible Setting Powder SPF 45: ($30) Supergoop! products are known for their great-for-skin ingredients, and this SPF powder has got to be our favorite. Especially as spring and summer roll around, this easy-to-apply, invisible powder protects skin from the sun’s harsh UV rays while providing a smooth, satin finish. It’s easy to apply and devoid of that ever-annoying thick and sticky application of classic SPF lotion. It is also waterproof!
- Drunk Elephant Lala Retro Whipped Moisturizer: ($60) This moisturizer features a unique whipped formula that once you try, you’ll never be able to replace. It rescues dry, dull and damaged skin with hydration and protection. This is an Allure Best of Beauty Award-winner!
Unlike clean skincare products, clean cosmetics are relatively difficult to find. Here, we’ve rounded up three products that can actually create a beautiful 5-minute face, all with healthy ingredients!
- Ilia Multi-Stick: ($34) We love a multi-stick for its versatility and travel-friendly aspects. This one offers an understated, yet effective tint that melts into cheeks and lips for a flush of color made with all-organic ingredients. It’s available in eight different shades to best flatter your skin tone.
- Bite Beauty Amuse Bouche Lipstick: ($26) Bite Beauty is by far our favorite clean cosmetic brand on the market, and it all started with their Amuse Bouche lipstick. This lipstick, available in more than 40 shades, provides a pigmented, creamy, easy-to-apply and flattering finish while hydrating lips and resulting in a soft and creamy texture.
- Josie Maran Vibrancy Argan Oil Foundation Fluid: ($45) If you’re on the hunt for a clean foundation, this is what we recommend. The medium-to-full coverage fluid is a mix of both foundation and skincare that evens skin tone while increasing moisture and giving you a luminous, radiant and youthful finish.
One trip to the hair salon for a cut and color had us running home to throw away all of our drugstore shampoos and conditioners. Our colorist revealed that, because the industry is so unregulated, many shampoos and conditioners are not only made with harmful, toxic ingredients but are also often emptied out, filled with water and sold for the same price. Essentially, you could be paying top dollar for a gorgeous color that is almost immediately ruined by nasty drugstore products. Here are four of our top clean hair care recommendations.
- Atomic Thickening Spritz: ($30) For those who need a boost of volume and bounce, this thickening spritz adds just that to make the most of your blowout. It simultaneously nourishes hair with ingredients like natural keratin, which adds strength and UV protection against color fade.
- Playa Pure Dry Shampoo: ($22) Here at StyleBlueprint, we’re big fans of a good dry shampoo, but we’re always searching for one that not only gets rid of excess oil, but is also good for our strands. This Playa dry shampoo is effective in removing oil from the scalp and also restores body and volume while eliminating impurities.
- Form Define. Curl Creme: ($29) For our gals with curly locks, this is the curl creme you should be using. It delivers softer, elongated curls with all-day definition and frizz control. It will also enhance your natural texture while providing valuable hydration.
- Briogeo Be Gentle, Be Kind Matcha + Apple Replenishing Superfood Shampoo and Conditioner: ($28 each) Obviously, this clean shampoo and conditioner brand is far pricier than your average drugstore buy, but will impact your hair in invaluable ways. These nutrient-rich, green juice-inspired products replenish dull strands, hydrate dry locks and protect hair from environmental damage.
For the best of the South — straight to your inbox — subscribe to StyleBlueprint HERE!