This delicious cheesecake brownie recipe comes to us courtesy of entertaining pro Vera Stewart.
Author: Vera Stewart
Recipe type: Dessert
Serves: 30 2-inch squares
CREAM CHEESE MIXTURE
- 4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons self-rising flour
- 1 tablespoon almond extract*
- Floured baking spray
- 10 large eggs
- 5 cups granulated sugar
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 3⁄4 cups Hershey’s® cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups unsalted butter, melted
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- With a mixer on medium speed, beat the cream cheese, butter, and sugar until creamy,
- about 3 minutes.
- Add the egg and beat well.
- Scrape the sides of the bowl and continue to beat until well blended.
- Add in the flour and almond extract and beat until well blended. Set aside.
- To start on brownie mixture, grease a half sheet pan (13 x 18 inches), with edges, with
- floured baking spray.
- In a clean bowl, beat the eggs with a mixer on medium speed, until creamy, about 3
- Add the sugar slowly, beating thoroughly after each addition. Beat for about 3 minutes.
- Scrape the sides of the bowl very well.
- Add the flour, cocoa, and salt and beat well.
- Add the melted butter and vanilla extract.
- Beat just until well blended, but don't overmix the batter.
- Pour the brownie batter into the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Dollop the cream cheese mixture on top of the brownie batter.
- Using a knife or metal spatula, swirl the brownie batter and the cream cheese mixture.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until the cream cheese mixture starts to brown slightly.
- Cool completely before cutting into 2-inch squares.
Note: Don’t be surprised at the proportion of almond extract in the cream cheese mixture. The concentration is distributed throughout the entire pan.