You may not believe it, but the 2019 holiday season is officially here. An astonishing (and very organized!) 63% of holiday shoppers report they will start buying gifts before you’ve even thawed the turkey. Plus, Thanksgiving is late this year, shortening the typical, core holiday shopping period between Turkey Day and Christmas from 34 days to only 28.
We’re going to help you leverage historical data and digital preparedness to ensure your 2019 holiday season is off the charts.
Part 1: Learning from the 2018 Holiday Season
- Sales were up 5% in the weeks between last Thanksgiving and Christmas compared to 2017. To put that increase into perspective, that’s the largest holiday sales jump in six years.
- Gift cards were the number one gift purchased last year.
- From Black Friday to Cyber Monday, consumers spent a total average of $313.
- Facebook was the most-used social media platform for gifting research and tracking promotions.
- 54% of shoppers shopped both online and in stores.
- 65% of men completed their shopping in the last week (and days) before Christmas.
- Consumers aged 18-24 are significantly more likely to purchase books and other media as gifts, versus the older generations, who choose clothing and accessories most often.
- Mobile searches for “Where to buy …” grew by 85% last year.
What does this mean for you?
- Be prepared for a good holiday season! The shortened core shopping period means consumers will be shopping earlier in November this year.
- Ensure you’re promoting your gift card/certificate options in your social media, in-store signage and on your website. Consider running a special gift card promotion.
- We know Instagram is the darling these days, but don’t neglect Facebook during this important season!
- Run promotions targeted at men purchasing gifts for their families the last week of Christmas.
- If your audience skews to the younger side, display books and other media prominently in the front of the store.
- Audit your SEO presence and Google My Business Listing, and update any inaccurate information.
- Next week we’ll share ten ways you can leverage your Google My Business listing to drive more in-store shoppers.
At SB Media, we value authenticity. Through our widely read digital lifestyle publication, StyleBlueprint, and our in-house media services agency, SB Digital, we have established genuine relationships with our clients and our readers. We aren’t just knowledgeable about the communities we serve; we are part of them.
What does this mean for you? We know how to connect your brand with your customers through more personalized experiences that increase the effectiveness of your digital campaigns.