The last official month of summer brought beautiful weather and newsworthy happenings to the Magic City. From national accolades to new restaurants and everything in between, there were plenty of headline-grabbing developments in Birmingham this month that deserve mention. Here are a few highlights.
The Wait is Almost Over …
Sports lovers, rejoice! August marks the last month of the year without college football. From fun tailgates to equally exciting rivalries, we are so excited to see our favorite Alabama teams take the field once more. Here are the college football kick-off games you don’t want to miss!
- UAB Blazers at Jacksonville State Gamecocks on Wednesday, September 1 at 6:30 p.m.
- Samford Bulldogs vs Tennessee Tech Golden Eagles on Thursday, September 2 at 6 p.m.
- Alabama Crimson Tide vs Miami Hurricanes on Saturday, September 4 at 2:30 p.m. in Atlanta, GA
- Auburn Tigers vs Akron Zips on Saturday, September 4 at 6 p.m.
- Birmingham-Southern Panthers vs LaGrange Panthers on Saturday, September 4 at 6 p.m.
What do Wetumpka High School and “Top Chef Amateurs” have in Common?
They both have talented Kayla Hardin on board. Biology teacher and a chef? That’s right! Alabama’s own Kayla Hardin was recently featured on an episode of “Top Chef Amateurs” where she won the judges over with her unique and delicious take on a traditional lasagna dish. She created an interesting lasagna ‘cupcake’ that featured a spicy beef and pork sauce. Along with bragging rights, Kayla’s “Top Chef Amateur win” brought home $5,000! Congratulations, Kayla!
New Business Openings & Announcements
The Magic City is on the move! There are new restaurants, bars, food trucks, and shops popping up each month. In August, we saw a record number of openings and announcements that are worth noting. Here are the newest spots to be on the lookout for throughout the remainder of the year.
- HaMi Boutique is now open near Mt. Laurel.
- Just Good Flavor Company is now open.
- Frothy Monkey announced plans to revitalize the old Urban Standard location.
- 88, a piano bar and music venue, is now open.
- Cheap Chick Trading Company plans to open in September.
- Travelin’ Tom’s Coffee Truck of Hoover is now open.
- The Fennec, a restaurant and event space, is now open on 2nd Avenue S.
- Eterna Pizzeria will be opening in Parkside soon.
Welcome the Birmingham Squadron
Birmingham is on its way to being a basketball city! This month, the NBA G League announced that the Magic City will soon be home to the Birmingham Squadron, an affiliate team of the New Orleans Pelicans. Playing at the Legacy Arena, the Squadrons will make history during the 2021-2022 season as Birmingham’s first-ever NBA G League team. We’re also excited that Eli Gold, legendary voice of Alabama Crimson Tide radio, was named the official voice of the Squadron. Head coach, Ryan Pannone, will lead the charge in what we hope is a very successful inaugural season in Birmingham!
Are you ready to EAT throughout Alabama sustainably? This new initiative launched by the Alabama Environmental Council (AEC) grants local restaurants an AEC seal to be displayed online. These seals represent restaurants that are doing their part to create sustainable practices. With three levels of sustainability, restaurants have the opportunity to apply for a seal from the AEC to encourage patrons to support their restaurants and their honorable efforts!
Have a great start to a brand new month, Birmingham! We’ll be back next month with the latest round-up of newsworthy happenings.
To stay in the know on all-things-Birmingham, follow StyleBlueprint on Instagram!