Fourth of July is upon us and that means picnic fare that holds up to the heat and delights the senses is in order! Having just moved back into my house after a 6 month Chinese Drywall renovation, I am especially looking forward to cooking up simple goodness and sharing it with friends and family. I found this recipe for a simple bruschetta of tomato, feta and blueberries which is Fourth of July festive, yet can stand on its on own with the fresh, sweet and tangy flavors of the season all summer long!
Red, White and Blue-schetta Goodness
- 1 loaf Italian bread sliced to 1/2 inch thickness
- 1 1/2 cup grape tomatoes chopped in half
- 3/4 cup blueberries
- 1 tsp olive oil plus 1/4 cup
- 3/4 cup feta cheese crumbled
- 1 clove garlic
- black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to broil.
- Slice bread into 1/2 inch thick slices. Lightly brush both sides of the slices of bread with olive oil. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 7 to 10 mins or until golden brown. Remove from oven and rub one side of bread with garlic. Allow to cool before topping.
- Mix tomatoes, blueberries, 1 tsp olive oil, feta cheese and black pepper together in a bowl. Place a spoonful onto each slice and serve.