It’s time to return to Hawkins, Indiana, circa 1983, when a group of curious and courageous young boys and one very strange yet powerful little girl take on a looming supernatural spirit. “Stranger Things” is back this Friday, October 27, and just in time for Halloween weekend! The return of Eleven and the gang voyaging through thrilling chapters of uncovered secrets and flashing Christmas lights has us on the edge of our seats. So, with help from the cocktail experts at The Atomic Bar & Lounge, Swingshift and Coopers’ Craft, we’ve created four dark-spirited cocktails inspired by our favorite “Stranger Things” characters and moments. Join us in saying “Cheers” to the return of “Stranger Things” with these themed cocktails!
“Stranger Things” Cocktails
Unexpected and sweet with a bit of a kick, this cocktail by Steva Casey of Swingshift is aptly named Eleven. Gin, Strega and fresh lemon juice combine with ginger simple syrup and club soda to create a refreshing libation for any time of the year. Find Steva’s delicious recipe below.
- 1.5 ounces Bristow Gin
- .5 ounce Strega
- 1 ounce lemon juice
- 1 ounce ginger simple syrup (see recipe below)
- 2 ounces club soda
- Pinch of salt
- candied ginger, for garnish
- Combine all ingredients except club soda into a shaker.
- Shake with ice for 30 seconds.
- Add club soda to shaker.
- Pour into collins glass with ice.
- Garnish with candied ginger.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 oz. peeled, chopped fresh ginger
- Combine all ingredients into medium saucepan.
- Simmer until sugar is dissolved.
- Turn off heat, and let steep for 30 minutes.
- Strain off solids and store syrup in glass container.
Leggo my Eggo
Eggos have taken on a whole new meaning after the first season of “Stranger Things,” given Eleven’s nearly obsessive fondness for the frozen waffles. So, this spicy cocktail by Coopers’ Craft is sweetened with the waffle’s best friend, maple syrup. Plus, its deep hue is a creative reflection of the dark mysteries surrounding “The Monster” and “The Upside Down”!
- 2 parts Coopers’ Craft
- 1/4 part ancho chile liqueur
- ½ part maple syrup
- 2 dashes Angostura Bitters
- Garnish with orange slice and dark cherry
- Stir all ingredients together in an ice-filled mixing glass.
- Strain over fresh ice-filled rocks glass.
- Garnish with expressed orange peel.
The Upside Down
- 1.5 ounces of Old Forester
- .5 ounces of Cynar
- .25 ounces of Cathead Hoodoo Chicory liqueur
- .25 ounces of demerara syrup
- One dash of Angostura bitters
- Handful of rosemary
- Generous chunk of dry ice
- 2 straws
- Mix together your "dark spirits."
- Garnish with a handful of rosemary.
- Top with a generous chunk of dry ice.
- Finish with two straws forming an eleven going into The Upside Down.
Justice for Barb
Stranger Things’ stand-out character has got to be the lovable, red-headed best friend, Barbara Holland, a.k.a. Barb. This Coopers’ Craft creation pays homage to the fan favorite in a festive way. The bright concoction features apple, cinnamon and bourbon for an autumn-appropriate hot toddy. #JusticeforBarb
- 1.5 parts Coopers’ Craft Bourbon
- .5 part Apple Brandy or Apple Jack
- 1 part raw simple syrup
- 1 orange Slice
- 1 lemon slice
- 1 cinnamon Stick
- 3 parts boiling water
- In a coffee mug or tall pousse-café glass, muddle orange, lemon, and simple syrup.
- Add Coopers’ Craft Bourbon and Apple Brandy, stir to combine.
- Add boiling water and cinnamon stick right before service.