We are thrilled to have Sukey Johnson guest blog for us once again today at StyleBlueprint!
Color. Neutrals. Black. White. Classic. Cowboy boots. Booties. Strappies. Wedgies, I mean wedges. Lacey. Leather. Suede. Fur. Faux Fur. Tucked, Untucked. Wrapped. Belted.
Fashion is overwhelming. My husband has finally learned the best answer to my common question, “How does this look?”
Why do you say that?
Because it’s safe.
Yes. No matter what I say, you will wear the opposite. So, I say hot and you’re at least happy.
This is all true.
So, how does this look?
All kidding aside, there are a lot great options out there for fall. First, simplify your closet and have a plan. Do you have a plan? Here’s a 5-step buying one if you don’t. Click each picture for further details.
1. Everyone needs one fur item this year. We don’t have to shy away from real or faux fur. It’s everywhere! I like it on a vest, wrap or cardigan. Don’t over do it, but try it.
2. Believe it or not, there are still women out there depriving themselves of skinny jeans or skinny black pants. If you are without, be brave! Allow me to be clear: these are not toothpick pants. For the first time buyer of skinny pants, I tell ladies to trust the Gap. The saleswomen there are amazing. They know pants. Gap’s skinny pants and jeans look good on tall, short, broad, narrow, all types of thighs and hineys. You must trust them.
3. Next with the skinnies, a new pair of boots is a must. I prefer a wedge boot this year. They’re still comfy after 2 hours of wear, and thanks to Nordstrom and many others, there are umpteen choices. Choose a price range to begin your hunt. $100, $500 or $800? That is a fair detail to share with the salesperson measuring your footsies. I think nice boots are worth the investment because they will last. Be sure to wear your new skinny pants. P.S. Did you know Macy’s has expanded their shoe display as well?
4. Next let’s accessorize! Find a cuff bracelet that fits your style. Gold, sliver, or leather. I like them all, but do you need more dressy or casual for everyday wear? This is a nice in-between.
5. COLOR! Treat yourself to a cashmere sweater in bright pink or orange. I prefer a cable knit pullover because I’m tired of cardigans. There’s nothing better than having this cheerful color in the dead of winter and a closet full of black and brown. If cashmere isn’t in your budget after you bought the $500 boots, try J.Crew for many options. They have plenty of soft sweaters and colors you’ll love, including the cashmere.
I giggle at myself because as an adult, I change clothes like I did as a child, with school clothes, play clothes, church clothes… Now, I have work clothes, workout clothes, girls night out clothes, date night clothes, church clothes, and friends for lunch clothes. It’s amazing we’re ever dressed before noon.
I hope a few of these ideas for fall will inspire you to keep getting out of your pj’s and workout clothes from day to day. Don’t miss some of the treasures out there for fall because you were too overwhelmed when you walked into the store or worse, your own closet! Check your closet first and then, let’s go shopping!