Independence Day celebrations crank up the heat, don’t they. Think about it for a minute — barbecues, cook-outs, fried chicken, weenie roasts and blazing hot fireworks shrieking through the sky, all at the peak of summer temps. Turn down the flames a bit with this cool twist on pasta salad, healthy and light, while full of zesty flavor … in General Washington’s favorite color scheme.
Serve up this Star-Spangled Salad to hot and hungry troops and enjoy their sweet salute. Yankee Doodle Dandy!
- 1 cup orzo
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup blueberries, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (or mint or basil)
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds (if desired)
- Feta Crumbles
- Red Wine Vinaigrette: 1/2 cup red wine vinegar, 1/4 cup lemon juice, 2 tsp honey, 2 tsp salt, 1 tsp ground black pepper, 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Cook orzo, per package instructions, in vegetable broth instead of water.
- Drain and rinse briefly with cold water. Allow to drain and cool completely before transferring to large salad bowl.
- Then, toss orzo with red beans, blueberries and fresh herb.
- Coat with vinaigrette. Add almonds and feta. Toss until fully mixed.