Many moons ago when I lived in Great Falls, Virginia, I used to frequent Neiman Marcus at Tyson’s II and fell in love with the only thing in my price range – the soup at the cafe! I became a regular at the cafe, and for several years, through my first pregnancy, then with sleeping infant in stroller and then a repeat cycle with my second pregnancy through the first year of my daughter’s life until my family returned to Birmingham, I ate there almost weekly with my dear friends, Mindy and Shari. Needless to say, I came to know the staff there, and when it was time for me to say goodbye to Virginia, they ever so sweetly gave me the recipe for my favorite soup. (Okay, okay, don’t cue the violins or grab the tissues!) Today, I’d like to share this treasured recipe with all of you and hope that you love it as much as I still do!
- 1 large onion, chopped fine
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 3 (3 ounce) cans chopped green chilies, drained well
- 4 (14 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, drained well
- 12 ounces cream cheese, cut into bits
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- monterey jack cheese, shredded
- corn tortilla strips
- In saucepan, cook onion in butter over moderate heat, stirring occasionally until soft.
- Add chilies and tomatoes. Cook 10 min or so until liquid is evaporated.
- Stir in cream cheese. Maintain moderate heat until cheese is melted.
- Stir in chicken broth, half-and-half, lemon juice, cayenne and salt. Heat soup until it is hot, but do not let it boil.
- Serve with monterey jack and tortilla strips.
And for more delicious soup recipes, check out our sister sites today!