I have added kale into my regular vegetable rotation and love it in all its forms: baked as chips, sautéed with a bit of garlic, added into a green juice smoothie … but this salad recipe is one of my favorite ways to enjoy this superfood. It has all the right components to appeal to my foodie taste buds: it’s crunchy and tangy with just a hint of sweetness.
The recipe calls for Honeycrisp apples, and I highly recommend you track these down! (I found them at Whole Foods.) The Honeycrisp has that perfect snap when you bite into it, and it also has an amazingly sweet, juicy flavor. Typically available in late summer and fall, they really do make this recipe extra special.
- 3 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 bunch kale, ribs removed, leaves very thinly sliced (about 6 cups) or I box of baby kale
- ¼ cup dates
- 1 Honeycrisp apple
- ¼ cup finely grated pecorino cheese
- 3 Tablespoons toasted slivered almonds
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil and salt in a large bowl. Add the kale, toss to coat and let stand 10 minutes.
- While the kale stands, cut the dates into slivers and the apple into matchsticks.
- Add the dates, apple slices, cheese and almonds to the kale. Season with pepper, toss well and serve immediately.
Beyond the holidays, this salad still delivers! Try pairing it with a simple seared salmon for a delicious and healthy meal.
And be sure and check out all the recipes posted today on our sister sites! Happy holidays!