This is one of my absolute favorite summer side dishes. It’s perfect for those warm summer cookouts because it doesn’t contain dairy or anything that will spoil in the heat. Simple ingredients make it fresh and flavorful and little prep makes this an easy dish to prepare!
The most time consuming part of the prep is thinly slicing the zucchini. But, using a vegetable peeler makes it easy to slice it into thin ribbons. Also, rotating the zucchini as you peel helps keep your slices even. But don’t worry about too much uniformity; this dish will taste yummy no matter what it looks like!
Because the zucchini ribbons are thin, you only need about 20 minutes of “marinate” time. The zucchini tends to get a little soggy if it marinates longer then an hour, but it will still be tasty. If you want some crunch, toss in chopped walnuts or almonds.
- 2 medium sized, zucchini peeled
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- juice of 1 medium lemon
- 1 small to medium avocado, diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- walnuts or almonds, chopped
- fresh herbs such as parsley, basil, or thyme
- Using a vegetable peeler, slice pieces off the peeled zucchini and place in a medium size bowl.
- Add olive oil, lemon juice, and salt and pepper and gently toss the zucchini until well coated.
- Add the diced avocado, and gently toss until just combined.
- Place in the refrigerator and "marinate" for at least 20 minutes, but not more then 1 hour.
- Before serving adjust seasoning if needed, toss in chopped herbs (if desired) and top off with nuts (if desired)
Happy grilling season!