With Fall mornings turning cold, I have put away my blender and my smoothies as my quick morning breakfast option and have turned to my Baked Banana Oatmeal. Now, when most people bake oatmeal they bake it in a 9″ square pan. A perfectly fine method that turns out delicious. But, I move really slowly in the morning and there is no way in my morning stupor I could pre-heat the oven, assemble the ingredients and bake it for 20 minutes, even if I had the time. So, I decided to change it up a bit and make Baked Banana Oatmeal Muffins.
This is a simple and quick recipe. All you have to do is mix the dry ingredients and the wet ingredients and then combine together.
Next, fill each section of the muffin tin almost to the top, leaving a bit of room. I use an ice cream scoop so I don’t make too much of a mess. Add sliced banana and crumble topping and gently press down.
I like to undercook my muffins just so slightly so they don’t dry out when I heat them back up in the morning. Test with a knife to make sure they are cooked through. No batter should be on the knife, but the muffins should feel springy when you touch them. Enjoy!
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups of milk
- 1 tsp of vanilla
- 2-3 bananas
- Crumble Topping:
- 1 cup of walnuts, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp of butter, melted
- 2 tbsp of brown sugar
- pinch of salt
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
- Line a muffin tin with paper cupcake liners (don't use aluminum)
- Combine all dry ingredients (oats, baking powder, salt, and spices) in a medium bowl and set aside
- Combine all wet ingredients (beaten egg, milk, vanilla), mash 1 banana and add to the wet ingredients. Whisk to combine
- Add dry ingredients to wet and stir to combine.
- Using a spoon or an ice cream scoop, fill each cupcake liner leaving about 1/2" at the top for the toppings
- Slice banana(s) and add a few slices to the top of each muffin
- Combine crumble topping and add a bit to each muffin
- Gently press down on the topping
- Bake for 20 minutes or until mostly cooked through*
- For on-the-go mornings just reheat in the microwave for 20 seconds
We hope you enjoy these healthy and nutritious breakfast muffins!