The recipe below, created by food stylist Mary Carter, is worthy of any “best cookie” mention … ever! Mary took a basic recipe and masterfully created a delicious cookie using high quality chocolates, pecans and sea salt. The end result is a cookie that is not only beautiful on the plate, but distinctive with its salty and sweet combination.
If you are looking for the sweetest way to welcome the kids home from the new school days, or you want to surprise someone special, or you simply are craving the best chocolate chip cookie out there, try this recipe. It’s divine.
The Ultimate Southern Cookie
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup margarine
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, plus 1 teaspoon
- 1 teaspoon best quality vanilla
- 21/2 -3 cups self rising flour
- 1 cup best quality milk chocolate chunks, plus 1/4 cup
- 1 cup best quality semi-sweet chocolate chunks, plus 1/4 cup
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Makes about 2 dozen
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cream together butter, margarine and sugars. Stir in eggs, vanilla and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Fold in flour 1/2 cup at a time. When batter is no longer sticky to the touch, stop adding flour. (The amount of flour is variable in this recipe. Depending on how your dough comes together, you may use vary flour amounts.
- Stir in 1 cup each chocolate chunks. Scoop with a number ten scoop (3 ounce) onto an insulated baking sheet. Scoop 12 cookies per baking sheet. Gently flatten the top of each cookie with the palm of your hand.
- Place a few chocolate chunks and pecans on top of each cookie. Sprinkle a bit of sea salt over the surface. Bake until JUST tan, about 10 minutes. This will toast the pecans, and leave the cookie center dense and not cake-like.