A cook-ahead breakfast for the busy gal from nutritionist Leslie Schilling of Schilling Nutrition Therapy, LLC. Welcome back, Leslie!
Listen y’all, I promise this dish is harder to spell than it is to make. And, like an awesome neutral handbag, it’s incredibly versatile. If you know me, you know I’m a fan of eggs—like an eat-them-everyday fan. They’re an amazing source of protein and essential fats, so eat the whole egg to get all of these incredible nutrients. If you’re in a hurry, like most of us are, cook it up the night before. You can reheat it in a flash on a busy morning. This is how we do it …
- 2 T Butter
- 8 whole eggs
- ½ to1 cup of any cheese you like, shredded or sliced
- ½ cup protein/meat*
- ½ cup veggies* (any flavors you like, even leftover stuff)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- *Flavor combo suggestions: I’ve used baked leftover ham, cubed with Swiss cheese; chopped cooked bacon with cheddar and chives, and my most recent favorite combo is sliced red bell peppers and Colby jack cheese.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt butter in ovenproof medium skillet (I use a stainless pan) over medium heat on the stove top. Pour beaten eggs into skillet. Don’t mix.
- Cook about 2 to 3 minutes, then add veggies and top with cheese.
- Cook on stovetop about 6 to 7 more minutes (all together about 10 minutes on stovetop until bottom is firm).
- Transfer to oven for 10 to 12 minutes (or until middle is not runny).
- Enjoy by reheating (30-45 seconds to start) in the microwave for breakfast.
- You can also serve with a mixed green salad at lunch, brunch or dinner. Egg-cellent!
Thank you, Leslie!
You may have seen Leslie as a guest on both national and local TV programs, or perhaps you have read her articles in various media, but one of the best places to glean valuable advice from Leslie is on her popular blog, Born to Eat—a fun, easy-to-swallow dose of good advice about healthy, balanced living. Leslie owns Schilling Nutrition Therapy, LLC and her newest venture includes a back-to-basics approach to getting dinner on the table. Learn more about Leslie & Your Supper Solution here: YourSupperSolution.com.