Oh Cake Bites, how I love thee, let me count the ways.
Cake bites are a golf-ball size circle of love. They are just the perfect amount to taste, without having to commit to the entire piece of cake.
These cake bites are the lovely creation of Kathryn Douglas, the owner of Kathryn’s Cake Bites. I first met Kathryn at the Cartwheels One-Year Birthday Celebration. Her display was beautiful, almost too pretty to eat. Well, not TOO pretty to eat.
After sampling all six of her menu offerings that night, I decided there and then that I was never going back to eating a big ol’ piece of cake. This was the pu-pu platter of desserts. Because they are only the size of a golf-ball, you can try one of each. Not really feasible to have six pieces of cake; very feasible to have six cakebites. See my logic?
Kathryn’s menu consists of:
- Birthday Cake – Everyone’s favorite. Classic vanilla cake with butter cream frosting. Dipped in white chocolate. Topped with sprinkles. Simple, but oh so tasty.
- Chocolate Chunker – The chocolate lovers dream. A chocolate, chocolate chip fudge cake mixed with chocolate frosting and dipped in dark chocolate. Then topped with chocolate chips.
- Red Velvet – Red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting. Dipped in white chocolate
- Chocolate Covered Strawberry – Strawberry cake mixed with a strawberry butter cream and dipped in dark chocolate
- Cookies N Cream – chocolate fudge cake with butter cream icing dipped in white chocolate and topped with cookies then drizzled with chocolate on top. BUT WAIT…there is a cookie in the center too!
- PB and Chocolate – Devils food cake with chocolate frosting then dipped in a peanut butter coating. To finish it off we top it will chunks of reeses and a drizzle of milk chocolate. If you love peanut butter, this ones for you.
What I love the most about Kathryn’s Cakebites is her story.
See Kathryn does not have a commercial kitchen or an industrial walk-in refrigerator. She’s a mother who creates these lovely bites out her own kitchen with a one-year old tagging at her heels. She has a regular range and oven and a regular refrigerator. I said her own kitchen in her house. By herself. She started in January and taught herself how to make them, after much trial and error. The entire process has been very organic and very entrepreneurial, and most of all very impressive.
She starts with a homemade sheet cake.
And after mixing it with icing and forming them into the cake bite balls, she dips them in candy coating.
And then decorates it accordingly.
Then she lets the tasters test it. These are professionals, do not do this at home.
Feeling a little guilty after making cake bites your dinner, as I did? Fear not, these calories do not count if you ingest them under the proper circumstances: Eat these cake bites within the following five scenarios:
1. Standing up
2. In your nightgown
3. In your car
4. After midnight
5. Washing it down with a Diet Coke
All calories negated!
Kathryn’s Cake Bites are great for parties, goody-bags, showers, just about anything where you will be serving dessert will suffice. When I served them at my skirt party, they were the appetizer.
As for pricing, there is a minimum order of 1 dozen. One dozen cake bites is $18; over three dozen is $15. On very large or custom orders, pricing varies.
Contact Kathryn at 502-472-9194 or via e-mail at [email protected].