This recipe is so easy. Just pop a few ingredients into your slow cooker, and by the time you are ready to serve dinner you will have tasty shredded pork. Perfect for tacos served alongside all of your family’s favorite toppings.
I found the original recipe in Real Simple magazine years ago, and over time I have changed the spices a bit. The key is the salsa. Make sure to use the jarred variety, not the fresh kind that you find in the deli section. You might want to adjust the seasonings based on your family’s preference or how strong your salsa is. For this recipe, I use a mild salsa.
- 1 2 1/2 pound of boneless pork shoulder or butt, trimmed of excess fat
- 2 cups of store bought salsa, not fresh (about 2 jars' worth)
- 2 tbsp of chipotle chili powder
- 2 tbsp of paparika
- 1 tsp of salt
- *note: The gives you a fairly spicy pulled pork. You might want to adjust the seasoning based on your family's tastebuds or the hotness of your salsa.
- In a 4 or 6 oz. slow cooker, add the pork and spread the salsa, chili powder, paprika and salt on top.
- Cook covered on high for 4 to 5 hours or on low for 7 to 8 hours. The meat is ready when it is tender and easily pulls apart.
- Serve with warm tortillas and toppings.
Spicy pulled pork ready for the tortillas and toppings!
Don’t you wish all dinners were this easy?