Once the spring carrots start showing up in the stores and markets, these roasted carrots are one of my rotating side dishes. Unlike the soggy, flavorless baby steamed baby carrots that are often served alongside the main course, these Honey Roasted Carrots are packed with flavor and nutrition!
The key to this recipe is the honey, which brings out the natural sugars in the carrots and adds a delicious caramel flavor.
A note about roasting vegetables. Since all ovens are different, I really feel that each oven has a “sweet spot” when it comes to temperatures and timing for roasting vegetables. 400 degrees for about 30 minutes really works for me when I make this recipe, but play around with your oven to see what works best for you. Also, if I am cooking something else, say a roast chicken at 425 degrees, I don’t sweat it. Just put the carrots in with the chicken and pull them out a little earlier.
- 10-12 carrots
- 1 tbsp of canola oil
- 1 tbsp of honey or to taste
- 1 tsp of paprika (or a dash of cayenne pepper if you want to add some heat)
- salt and pepper
- chopped peanuts for crunch, optional
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Wash carrots and cut into desired shape.
- In a mixing bowl combine chopped carrots with remaining ingredients. Stir until the carrots are coated with the honey mixture.
- Spread the carrots evenly on a baking sheet.
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes, or until the carrots are fork tender. Stir carrots once or twice while they cook.
So easy, and beautiful and delicious. Try them and see!