If you noticed from last week’s post on pick up dinners, I often get stuck in the side salad rut. When life gets complicated, it is really easy to just throw a salad on the side of the main dish. This week I challenged myself to come up with other easy go-to side dishes. These dishes are not only delicious but are perfect for the produce that is just coming into season!
Skillet Green Beans
One of my favorite ways to cook green beans! The green beans are slightly charred and the almonds give the dish a wonderful crunch. Use a cast iron skillet if you have one!
Prep time 10 mins; Cook time 15 mins; Total 25 mins; Serves 4
- 1 pound of green beans-washed and trimmed
- 1 T of oil (olive or canola)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 T of apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup almonds, chopped
1. Heat cast iron skillet with oil until hot (but not smoking)
2. Add the green beans to skillet and season with salt and pepper
3. Cook green beans until slightly charred (8-10 mins)
4. Add the apple cider vinegar to the green beans, scrapping the bottom of the skillet with a wooden spoon
5. Remove from pan and serve with chopped almonds
This dish can be served at room temperature or cold and you can easily make it ahead of time and store in the refrigerator. To cook the corn, I prefer to boil it in a large pot with salted water, but the microwave works perfectly too!
Prep time 10 mins; Cook time 20 mins; Total 30 mins; Serves 4
- 3 medium ears of corn-shucked and cleaned
- ½ cup of vidalia onion, chopped
- 1 tsp of canola oil
- 1 T of thyme-chopped
- 1 T of creme fraiche
- ¼ cup of crumbled goat cheese
1. Cook corn using your prefered method
2. While the corn is cooking, heat olive oil in skillet and cook onion until translucent. Add to a medium sized mixing bowl when finished.
3. When corn is cool enough to handle, cut down the sides of the ear removing the kernels into the mixing bowl
4. Add chopped thyme, creme fraiche, and goat cheese. Stirring to combine all of the ingredients
5. Add salt and pepper to taste
I hope this helps you get out of your side salad rut, too!!