Whether your plans for Spring Break include hiking Stone Mountain or skiing in Colorado, these snack balls are the perfect thing to bring along! Packed full of good-for-you ingredients and just enough sweetness to make your kids love them, they are a great option to keep you energized throughout the day.
To begin, start with a base of old fashioned oats. Next, mix and match whatever ingredients your family prefers. There are hundreds of different ways you can change this recipe up to suit you and your family’s taste or allergies. It really is just combining a little bit of this and a little bit of that. Below is a good formaula to use.
- Start with oats or a combination of oats and rice cereal. (I’ve never only used rice cereal, but give it a try if you like.)
- Pick a few options from the sweet category.
- Pick a few options from the healthy additions category.
- Pick a nut or seed butter AND a thick sweetener. (You will need both for a good bind). Heat mixture on stove or microwave and add to other ingredients.
- Rolled Oats
- Brown Rice Cereal or other crispy rice cereal
- Dried fruit (cranberries, cherries, chopped apples, pineapple, raisins, etc)
- Toasted unsweetened or sweetened coconut
- Chocolate chips or peanut butter chips
- Coca nibs
- Toasted nuts, chopped (almonds, pecans, cashews, walnuts)
- Wheat germ
- Chia seeds
- Sunflower seeds
- Peanut butter
- Almond butter
- Cashew butter
- Sunflower seed butter
- Brown Rice Syrup
- Vanilla or almond extract
- Dry Ingredients
- 1 cup of old fashioned oats (not quick cooking)
- 1/4 cup of chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup of chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup of dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup of wheat germ
- Wet Ingredients
- 1/2 cup of peanut butter
- 1/3 cup of honey
- 1 tbsp of vanilla
- Combine dry ingredients and set aside.
- Combine wet ingredients and heat in microwave or on the stove until "drippy."
- Add wet ingredients to dry and mix throughly.
- Using wet hands, gently mold ingredients into small balls.
- Store in a refrigerator or freezer to keep balls together. No need to keep cold at all times. It's just a good way to store them.